Sunday 16 June 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Twenty Sixth Chain


Hello pals! Welcome to week 126 of #lexieschain. Last week the winner was Stella wiv Shipbuilding from Elvis Costello. Let's see wot we got dis week!

@claptonterrier
last week Miss Stella chose a song called Shipbuilding by Elvis Costello which was all about the folly of the Falklands War. I have looked in my history books and found that we went to war under a lady called Margaret Thatcher who was our Prime Minister. She was famously dubbed the IRON LADY by Captain Yuri Gavrilov in 1976 in the Soviet newspaper Red Star for he opposition to Russia during the Cold War. Her nickname makes me think of strong-willed ladies….but I couldn't find any songs about you Miss Lexie….so instead I have settled for a song about somebody like the Iron Lady: Robots. And this time the robots aren't winning….my chain this week is called Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips…



@bvefyj
Last week we did hab first win for Stella wif “Shipbuilding” by Elvis Costello. Me fink me could do anuvver anti-war song link, but den me finked how about a ship link! Dere lots ob great songs about ships. Me did decide on one ob me faborite songs by one ob me faborite songwriters and performers. So we does go from shipbuilding to wreck wif Gordon Lightfoot in a luberly tribute to da crew ob da Edmund Fitzgerald.
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Gordon Lightfoot



@diamondbertie
Last weeks winner was Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding, a haunting song about the futility of war (Falklands War). My choice is River Lady sung by Roger Whittaker a song about a ship at the end of her use, another sad haunting song I have a picture in my mind of the painting by Turner The Fighting Temeraire.



@freddie_bt
We av found it vewy difficult dis week coz dere are so many possible links to make fwom someone dat has ad such a long n vawied caweer as Elvis Costello. Wiv my invaluable elp Dad compiled a long shortlist spannin all types of music n den we scwatched our eads, well he did I went to sleep. We decided in da end to go wiv Nick Lowe one of Elvis' earliest musical collaborators. Nick Lowe was da producer at Stiff Records n produced Elvis Costello's early LPs. Since den Elvis Costello has recorded Nick Lowe songs, dey have performed together n are gud fwends. Nick Lowe has ad a long career first wiv da band Brinsley Schwarz, den as producer n solo artist. He also ad Jonny Cash as a Father in Law which must av bin intwestin. He has bin writin gweat songs fer 40 years n has bin espeshully prolific in da last decade. Dad has ad da pleshur of seeing him perform on a number of occashuns n he's luvly, vewy modest n self deprecatin.

Ere he is wiv some of his fwends, includin da entertainin Geraint Watkins on keyboards n if you look closely you'll see dat Roy Hodgson is guestin on drums. Nick Lowe singin da nostalgic Long Limbed Girl, a luvly song dat makes Dad wonder where his youth went - 




@skye613
Great win Stella! When reading about Elvis Costello I noticed that he wrote & released " Pills & Soap " under the pseudonym The Imposter . That led me to wonder if others had also done this. Seems many bands have recorded using different names. My link today is " 25 O'Clock " by The Dukes of Stratosphear. Who be this band?



@djladylexie
My link does be Shine On Your Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd. Why? Well, let me tell you! Shipbuilding was alledgedly written by Costello for Robert Wyatt. Wyatt was the founding member of Soft Machine a prog rock band from Canterbury. Wyatt fell from a fourth-floor window when he got drunk at a party and was paralysed from da waist down. Soft Machine were asked to play at a concert wiv Pink Floyd – also a prog rock band of some note ;). So dat my linky prog rock bands! Yay! 




@bunnersandharvs
Well dun to dat supa star Stella fur da winnin da chainy last week! We dus be thrilled fur you and we dus luv old Elvis Costello in dis household too. Saying dat we did thort about dat songy and it just make us think about travelling and dat made us think about dem peeples wot travel which made us think about a group of guys wot got together and formed da group daTraveling Wilburys. Now you may think we is odd wif dat choicy but we figure if a hooman has been through it dey need speshul caring & wot not so da linky fur us dis week is da Traveling Wilbury's - Handle With Care. Why cause 'Evabody, needs sum body - to leean on.... regardless of wot is going on... Hit it baby.... 




@wonderwinger
Well done Stella on your much deserved first win let it be the first of many. Ship-building by Elvis Costello being about the irony of a mini-boom for the ship-building industries of the north of England being caused by the loss of ships & lives during the Falklands war. Music can be a great way for people to come together to protest. There are many protest artists and i nearly went for a Billy Bragg link but who I've recently become aware of someone far more tuneful through the film "Searching for Sugar Man": Sixto Rodriguez. His lyrics struck a chord with those trapped and unable to speak out in South Africa during the Apartheid years, but could equally be applied to any race suffering oppression. My song choice shall be "This is not a song, it's an Outburst: Establishment Blues".



@rosieterrier
Big congratulations to Stella for last week. Dis week of course I have a Father's Day styli link. So Elvis Costello leads to Elvis Da Pelvis with 'Daddy's Home'. The DADDY himself, Mr Tom Jones covered the Elvis song 'I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone'. So my linky dis week dus be Sir Tom "who's the Daddy?" Jones (OBE) with our favourite...'There's Something Bout You Baby I Like'



@smcheetham
Well very excited to win last week made my day. Not sure if I was supposed to do an entry when I was judging but done one anyway. Very simple link from Elvis to Elvis from Costello to Presley. One of my fave Elvis songs is Suspicious Minds so thats my link this week. Looking forward to deciding the winner.



@borderpup
Shipbuilding was also recorded by Robert Wyatt, who had a big hit wiv it, and he also had a hit with 'I'm a Believer', which was one of the biggest hits of all time by the Monkees. It was written by Neil Diamond, but we dussnt feel like going down that road. On Mr Wyatt's version, Andy Summer played guitar - he of corse later found fame wiv the Police - but we're not going down that road eiva! So, back to the Monkees, where Mike Nesmith played guitar (see what we did there) and he went on to have a successful solo career. Here is a lovely recording (but manky video) of one of his hits, Silver Moon.



An da winner ............... as chosen by Stella - @smcheetham .............. dus be ...........Tucker - @bvfeyj wiv The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Gordon Lightfoot! A great linky, well done Tucker. So dat means you will be selectin the winner next week Tucker. Ere wot Stella said:



Well this winning comes with a price it seems how can I choose between all these fantastic entries. Do I chose because its a clever link, a great song, a great artist or that it has a link to a beautiful painting. The entires are all so great. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is one of my all time favourite songs But then again I love the Flaming Lips who are having their 30 year anniversary at the moment as well and Nick Lowe such a legend. Also Searching for Sugar Man was one of my favourite films of last year. You are all so clever this is Really hard. Anyway I am going to go with my heart and choose Linky number 2 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald so that this weeks' winner.  

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) Sunday 23 June 2013 (gots to get it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment