Monday 9 December 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Fifty First Chain



Hello pals! Welcome to week 151 of #lexieschain. Last week da winner was Stella wiv Lana del Rey and Video Games. Nice one Stella! Very good indeedy. Let's see wot we gots then. Oh, I fort I menshun two fings 1) we continue to end of year for this chainy so the last one will be 29th December .. who will be the champ!!! You will av to wait an see. And 2) Sometimes I can't get your videos to work properly in Blogger so have to put in a substitute. Rest assured that the judge sees the correct video. Fanx pals!


@djladylexie
Lovely song, great artist. Great linky! Well lets av fink.The lyrics contain the line heaven is a place on earth. Hmmm who else dun somfink like dat ws Belinda Carlisle wiv Heaven is a Place on Earth! But wait, that not me linky! Belinda Carlise shot to fame in the band The GoGos, the first all-female band to write their owns songs and played their own instruments — paw err …. I mean …. girl power!! So, I am gowin for a bit more girl power dis week wiv The GoGo's and We Got the Beat!










@maggietkat
What a great choice for the chain! I had never heard Lana del Rey and I am now a fan. Lana released a number titled "Body Electric" which is a reference to Walt Whitman's poem "I Sing the Body Electric". My favorite jazz fusion group Weather Report released an album titled "I Sing the Body Electric". I recalled that Joni Mitchell had used 2 of the personnel from Weather Report during her jazz period, Wayne Shorter, saxophonist, and Jaco Pastorius, fretless bass. My choice is "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" from Joni's "Shadows and Light" album for which Jaco was personnel. I feel that this song is appropriate since it talks bout fated loved much as Lana's number did. Enjoy!




@skye613
Love Lana Del Rey! Great pick Stella. Rocked & racked my brain all week. But lana takes me to The Great Gatsby release this year which included Jack White's " Love is Blindness" . We all get blinded by things and then stumble but not the " Pinball Wizard " How do you think he does it?





@wonderwinger
I hear that the latest #lexieschain winner is the very clever Stella giving us Video Games from Lana del Ray. On researching sweet Lana I discovered that she grew up in Lake Placid, New York and I thought to myself I wonder who else was born there? Only Melvil Dewey, that's right the great man who invented the Dewey Decimal Classification system.

Aha, I thought this is an ideal opportunity to throw in a song about libraries. Reading being an activity just like video games that can help relieve the boredom of wet playtimes.

Turns out that most songs about libraries seem to be about love and lust between the stacks, although Frank Zappa did pen a lovely ditty about Library cards. However, my linky shall be this tune by Belle and Sebastian - Wrapped up in Books.




@freddie_bt
Lana del Rey is fwom NY n her parents worked fer Grey a Madison/Fifth Ave ad agency, so our linky is "Walking Down Madison" written n played by Jonny Marr sung by Kirsty MacColl, its timely too as 18th December is da anniversary of her death in 2000. Dad loved seein her, she wuz wonderful n last saw her in Feb 2000 at Ian Dury's final concert. He's still angry bout her death n sadly her family never will get justice.




@claptonterrier
Hi Miss Lexie….last week the winning song was Video Games by Lana Del Rey. Someone round here is old enough to remember playing Space Invaders at the local pub for hours on end and worrying about alien invasion. There is also a famous series of films about Aliens…..they star Sigourney Weaver so we have chosen a song today called “Sigourney Weaver” by John Grant….its a beautiful song…we can only find this live version on YouTube but I do recommend searching out the original and getting the album …
.








@terenceterrier
da winnin linky woz Lana Del Ray wiv “Video Games”. Mum comes from a generayshun when yoo had to get ya paws on da game not wotch on a screen so our linky be “Pinball Wizard” . I gives yoo da live vershun from da stage show “Tommy” wiv Elton John and The Who.





@bunnersandharvs
Well dun to you dear Stella fur your eggcellent selkshun last week by Lana Del Ray's songy Video Games. Now we has been challenged dis week wid what sort of linky to go wid but we decided to choose a songy we neva hurd of by The Foundations called Born To Live And Born To Die. Why? Cos Lana did singy a songy called Born to Die and we thort dat it might be nice to have something about living mixed in. Hee hee so dat is our linky.





@diamondbertie
Last weeks winner chosen by @smcheetham was the song by Lana Del Rey, Video Games, a lovely choice my choice is the theme music of the film Cry Freedom, this is a tribute to Nelson Mandela, a remarkable man with a remarkable life who managed to lead a whole nation away from a terrible civil war, that is his legacy and long may it last.





An da winner ... as chosen by ... Stella dus be ..................... but wait we has two winners. The winners dus be 1) Clapton Terrier and 2) Diamond Bertie! Yay well done pals. Now rules say you as to decide togeva by conflabbin over da emails. Okies? Yay!


Ere wot stella said:

What a great week on Lexie's chain and how difficult it is to decide between these great suggestions.  Also two people went to the  same song through very different routes. Should I choose on the basis of the song or the link that was what was running though my mind. It was so tricky that after checking with Lexie that it would be ok there are two winners this week as I could not choose between them. 
The two choices are 

Linky number 6 John Grant - the song is brilliant and the whole album Queen of Denmark that this comes from is quite extraordinary.  
Linky number 9 as it seemed a really good thing to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela given the events of the week. Stella dun a photo wot I forgot to send to mum at work so I put it on laters!
 

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) 15th December 2013 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment