Monday 8 December 2014

Lexie's Chain: The Two Hundred and First Chain


Hello pals! Welcome to week 201 of #lexieschain. Last week was Terence wo won wiv Arlo Guthrie an Alice's Restaurant. Let's see wot we got dis week:

@skye613
So this week maybe taking the easy way but since " Alice's Restaurant " is one of the longest pop/rock songs, I wanted to know about some of the shortest songs. Coming in at 1:07 Queen's " Lazing on a sunday afternoon " is number 6 in shortness.





@claptonterrier
Wow,Terence chose an extraordinarily long linky last week…imagine being in the restaurant for that long..i think some of the patrons might be needing some assistance after all that….*gulp*…so we decided we should have a medical team on stand by…so this week we have chosen the song “Silver Lining” by First Aid Kit….the silver lining being that Terence won lexieschain! Yay….




@bunnersandharvs
Well Terence had a terrific linky last week wid Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. It did remind Mum of hur brother wot loved Arlo sumthin. So our linky dis week is fur two reasons. One, Arlo did also sing a songy called da Power of Love a song also by another group called Huey Lewis and the News and they did also sing a songy called 'Back In Time' which is our linky cos dat songy wot Ter chose did take us Back In Time. Have fun chooosin, Ter.



@djladylexie
That was one long song wot you chose there Terence. Well we started finkin about length of songs and went to Guinness World Records to find out that the world's longest officiallly recorded song dus be called Zwei Jahre (two years) is 1 hour and 30 mins and 10 seconds long. It has 482 refrains (wotever them is) and 11,588 words!
Dat is my linky altho I would suggest not listenin to ole fing – but is quite nice!



@maggietkat
Well done Terence! "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" is an anti-Vietnam War protest song. I thought about protest songs through the years and I remembered my favorite one. Although it was written about 1970 about a faux suicide. it is about the Korean war. I love this version by Manic Street Preachers, "Suicide Is Painless" (Theme from M*A*S*H).



@smcheetham
So where to go from Terence's winner last week. Well we have gone from Arlo Guthrie to Woody Guthrie pretty obvious way forward. This one comes from Mermaid Avenue which was the album where Billy Bragg and Wilco put music to lyrics from the Woody Guthrie Archive at the request of his family. This is my favourite from the album with vocal by Jeff Tweedy it's very haunting but very beautiful it's called One by One Have a great week all.




@wotterface
We had to do a bit of reading about Arlo Guthrie as we didn't know any of his music or anything! It is thought that Alice's Restaurant was commenting on the Vietnam war draft so we looked at songs commenting on the Vietnam War. Simple. So we discovered that All Along The Watchtower is also about that war, and of course we went with the Hendrix version.




An the winner as chosen by @terenceterrier dus be @maggietkat. Yay! Well done again Maggie! You choosin next week.

Ere wot Tel said: Wowser ! Seven linkies to judge n not one Alice Cooper amongst dem *shrugs* Anyways I haz listened to all of dem and scrootinized da werds of da linkies for clevaness. I haz made my choice *long drawn out pawse* I chooz linky number 5. I luv dis song although I haz not heard dis vershun by da Manic Street Preacher before. ( Good reserch by da winna on wot I likes cos I have used dis linky myself in da past wiv da original recordin of it )
 
So it's over to you. Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until 14th December 2014 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title and dussnt forget to send a linky to da video from You Tube!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment