Sunday 17 February 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Ninth Chain



Hello pals! Welcome to week 109 of #lexieschain. Last week the winner wos @skye613 wiv Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack. So lets see wot we got dis week. 

@claptonterrier
Last week's winner was Killing Me Softly….we know that songs about killing people are called murder ballads and Mr Nick Cave did an album called Murder Ballads a few years ago. We looked at a very long list of people who played on that record and we noticed that one of them was Shane McGowan from the Pogues….so our link this week in honour of our impending departure from the UK is "Leaving Liverpool" by the Pogues, a song all about travelling overseas in search of fresh adventures.




@patchdacat
Last week’s winning linky was by Roberta Flack & she sung “Killing You Softly”. There have been lots of cover versions. The Fugee was one group who recorded this. They also did a cover version of a Bob Marley song “No women no cry” . But let’s have the master himself I say so I gives you Bob Marley singing it live.




@terenceterrier
Righty Ho. Last week Skye won wiv “Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack. My linky this week is “Empty Chair” by Don McLean because this song inspired Lori Lieberman to write the poem upon which the song "Killing Me Softly" is based.




@smcheetham
Another great week on the chain last week it just seems to get better and better. The winning suggestion was Killing me Softly by Roberta Flack. Roberta sang a lot of Bert Bacharach songs in her career so that opened up a lot of options. My fave song by him is I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself. There are many great versions of that song By Dusty Springfield, Elvis Costello to name a couple but the one I would suggest is by the White Stripes so this week my suggestion is I Just Dont Know What to do with Myself by The White Stripes. Good luck everyone.




@djladylexie
Killing Me Softly was covered by The Fugees. Fugees is short for The Refugees. A refugee is someone who has been forced to leave their country to escape war, persecushun or other disaster. Some refugees do evenshully get to go home again but it can be a long hard journey and they needs to have faith it will appen. So, I chooses Blind Faith – Can't Find My Way Home for all those refugees who are waiting to return to their homelands.




@chillibrambles
We be inspired to do our first Lexie's chain, by da winnin tune of last week, wot was Killin Me Softly. Dat song was inspired by a Don McLean song called Empty Chairs. mum know dis cos Don McLean was da first concert Mum went to. (Although she not tell anyone at skool, cos it not cool in 1984.) Wiv dis bein our first week, to get idea of wot anipals do for da chain, we readed da last few weeks but couldn't find any empty chairs. Most weeks seem to have lots of bums on seats an da chain seem popular, altho we did go froo it fast like lightning. So da song we choose is Chain Lightning by Don McLean. We ave ad a look at video an find him not move like lightning, an we not fink it very cool in 2013 neiver, but it is our linky for da week.




@millie_t_dog
This is my first ever attempt at the chain, so I'm hoping I has got things right and the judge is feeling kind :-). So the winner last week was the lovely Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack. I do love this song, although not when mauled about by a certain Mr Hugh Grant in the film About a Boy. Anyways, I'm sure you all know that the song was written by Norman Gimbel and composed by Charles Fox; two very clever peoples. In 1954 Norman Gimbel wrote the English lyrics to a Spanish song written and recorded by Pablo Beltrán Ruiz called "?Quién será?". He then rather cleverly got an actor dude and member of the famous Rat Pack to record that English version. So for my linky I gives you Sway as sung by Mr Dean Martin. 




@diamondbertie
Last weeks winner chosen by @skye613 was the lovely Roberta Flack singing Killing Me Softly, much head scratching I kept thinking of another multi talented singer/actress Eartha Kitt, I have selected C'est si bon. a beautiful romantic song.



@kelsoterrier
Last week's winning song was Killing me Softly by Roberta Flack. I don't know how you would kill someone softly and these words seem to conflict with each other. And I don't think anyone should be killing anyone else no matter how softly. I think we should all live and let live. However, talking of conflicting words this made me think of a band called Guns n' Roses and a song they sang called Live and Let Die. So many conflicts, Guns bad, Roses good, Living good, Dying bad. So apologies for causing such conflict but my link this week is Live & Let Die by Guns n' Roses.




@bvfeyj (Tucker)
Congrats to @Skye613 on first win! One ob many to come me fink. We did see dat Roberta Flack did teach English & music in Washington DC. One ob da places she did teach was Browne Junior High School. Me noticed dat it Browne wif an e da same as Jackson Browne. Ms. Roberta Flack and Jackson Browne boaf play da piano. Boaf ob dem hab great hits, lots ob awards, and boaf hab done songs for films and TV, and dey is active in various charitable and humanitarian causes. Me linky is: Love Needs a Heart by Jackson Browne.




@rosieterrier
Roberta Flack, what a good choice and lovely linky. She sang 'I Who Have Nothing' that of course was also sung by Shirley Bassey. My succinct link dus be the duet version of 'Big Spender' by Dame Shirley Bassey and Dame Edna Everage. Two glorious Dames :-).



@bunnersandharvs
First we dus want to say a veerree well dun to @skye613 fur a supa linky last week. So we been thinking about Berta Flack and her songys and did you know her songs was almost always about relashunships and love? Well dey sure is, so we thort we would go wid a simple linky all about love! Why? Well, cause well it wus Valentine's Day last week and der's nothing better dan LOVE so da linky we going wid dus be 'LOVE' - by Nat 'King' Cole. Taps paws, sits back and thinks of pals wot we love. hee hee




@wonderwinger (Briar)
The song "Killing me softly" always makes me think of the off-key version sung by Nicholas Hault in the film About a Boy. The song doesn't appear on the soundtrack sadly as all the songs are sung by Badly Drawn Boy. Badly Drawn Boy's best work came on the previous album The Hour of the Bewilderbeest. My favourite song on this album is Pissing into the Wind which just might be what you'd do if someone was trying to kill you softly.





So............. da winner dis week .... as chosen by @skye613  ......................... dus be ................ @kelsoterrier wiv .......... Live & Let Die, Guns 'n' Roses!. Yay! Well done Kelos!

Skye an Dee did say: 

So many brilliant linky suggestions! First I say " Well Done " to all. This is very hard choice.  Caused much head hurting thoughts but the one link that made me sit up & really think is link # 9. Conflicted is how I feel! So my pick for the winning linky this week is Live & Let Die by Guns n' Roses. 

Now is time to get your finkin caps on an send me (find out how on da guidelines page fing) the next link in the chain. Da winner dis week dus be pickin da winner next week and dat means you Kelso!

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) Sunday 24 February 2013 (gots to get it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!  

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment